Friday 5 March 2010

Presenting Evaluation

I presented on the second show with Nathan, taking on the mantle of Fearne and Reggie for Male-Female radio presenters. They used to both present the request show on Radio 1, and to a degree Nathan and I wanted to emulate them, as they share our target audience and have a good rapport with each other.

During the week we had both worked on the script (along with Marta) and I think this made our show sound a little more natural, as we scripted things the way that we would say them. In professional radio, either the presenter write the script, or the scriptwriter knows the presenter intimately, and so knows how they speak.

We didn't have a rehearsal before we went into record which was a mistake, because although I'd co-written the script, the first time I read it I stumbled a little with the phone and text numbers, although due to time-restraints not enough to re-record it. The reason this was so bad, is because presenters aren't meant to sound like they are reading a script, it is meant to sound natural and when you make mistakes like that it draws attention to the script.

I think also when it came to recording I felt a little nervous and embarrassed and you can definitely hear that in my voice the first view links, which doesn't happen in professional radio as the audience wants to trust the presenters to entertain them, and as soon as the audience start to hear nerves, there is doubt in their minds.

However there were a lot of good points to my presenting. My pace and tone; especially during the competition was very similar to the quicker pace and more serious tone radio presenters use in competitions. This is too imbue the listener with a sense of excitement and energy; to make them really want the caller to win. I was really impressed with my self during the competition, I thought (apart from when I stumbled over one of the lines) it was just right. I've heard really similar links on the Radio 1 request show. It was a big relief to get back on track, and I think my extra confidence from that successful link made the rest of my presenting more appropriate for my audience. I was enjoying it more, and you can always tell when you listen to the radio if a presenter is enjoying presenting.

In the rest of the programme my pace was quicker and my tone was more cheerful. Because my pitch is naturally low, I need to work a little bit harder to sound upbeat, but I definitely managed it. Feedback from the audience pronounced our presenting 'Bouncy', 'Upbeat' and 'Well-spoken', which was just what we were going for.

Technically, our vocal levels were good the whole way through, It was the levels of song that let us down. In the first jingle where I say 'We don't care about a play list.' my voice fades to basically nothing at the end but that's my own fault because I mumbled. I didn't know we where going to use it!

I think compared too our other shows, you could tell this was our second of three because the presenting was better than the week before but not as good as the live show. I think this had a lot to do with how we recorder our shows; In the first it was all out of sync, so it didn't flow, In this one we recorded our links in order, but could edit them to make them sound better, so there was less pressure. In the third show I think the presenting was the best because of the positive pressure- everyone was a little nervous, but I think the adrenaline helped the final show to become more exciting.

The music we chose was purposely a sample of what you tend to hear on the Radio 1 request show. Even though you can theoretically pick whatever you want, from our listening we've learnt that people still mainly choose off the playlist, or off previous playlists. There are usually a few oldies (We used Journey), and left-field choices (Frank Turner), but the rest of the songs we chose were pretty mainstream and suitable for Radio 1's 16-25 year old audience.

I have improved as a presenter because I know more now to take breaths, rehearse ( or at the very least read through) the script before recording, and too be more confident.

I used the techniques of changing my pace and tone for different parts of the show- making it more serious and quick for competitions and other times when I want the audience to feel tense, and then more relaxed for the lighter bits of the programme. I tried to imagine what my peers would say when we listened to the show back, and presented to them, as for this show they were my target audience.

Personally, I thought I could have done a lot better. I wish that we had managed our time better, so that we would have had a chance to rehearse and re-record the opening jingle and the first two links. Even though there was positive feedback about our presenting, and everyone thought it was upbeat enough for our target audience of 16-25, I think it could have been more so.

We aren't quite up to the standard of Fearne and Reggie on the request show yet, we'd need to rehearse a lot more and not sound like we were reading off a script. Also I think I'm a bit too well-spoken to sound like Fearne, I'd need to start dropping T's! However there are definitely positive signs. The competition was brilliant for both of us, but I wasn't consist ant enough throughout the show, and that was the main thing that let me down.

No comments:

Post a Comment