Wednesday 3 March 2010

Show 3 Evaluation

This week I have been the researcher, so I didn't have a whole lot to do in the studio, but in the end, Keerah controlled the mixing desk and I controlled the laptop.

We where going for a Student Radio station, and from my listening I know that that left us a lot of room, and also the possibility of making a few mistakes (I've not found one Student show without one). It was a good genre to have for our Live Show, our target audience were sitting out side the studio, and there wasn't as much pressure to be perfect as there would have been if we'd had 40 + or Music.

We all worked very well together. There were times where the atmosphere got a bit fraught (These times were usually after a mistake!) but we didn't argue, or fight.
What I though was particularly impressive, was when one of our group forgot to say their line, another member carried on pretty seamlessly, showing real intuitiveness and quick-thinking.

Most student radio shows are available to listen to online, and so as well as the interview with our Student Governor, Carlos Pestana, there was also an interview with Scroobius Pip who is more well-known. We thought that it was important to both have features that personalised the show to Abingdon and Witney College, as well as making it listenable for people online.

Our speech to music ration was about 35:65, but the speech included interviews and vox-pops I think that there was a good mixture, and the audience didn't have to listen to 1 voice for too long. This was also helped by having 3 presenters.


I think it worked really well actually. There were a few mistakes here and there, but as I have learnt from listening to student radio station, there is barely a show without them. I think our show could easily have been on a student station; we chose contemporary music, the presenting style was vibrant and youthful and we had appropriate featues.


We got good feedback, the negative points were that we needed to not panic so much, which I agree with. People also pointed out the mistakes, but as I have said, very few shows are without them.

With regard to my imput,I was more backstage this week. During the weeks leading up to our live show, I wrote the script and t and compiled the running order, and I edited the interview I did with Scroobius Pip. I also co-ordinated the interview with Carlos Pestana, and wrote the questions.

Since my Scroobius Pip interview was done in a very echoey room backstage and I couldn't make it sound any better on Auditions, I made sure that I wrote in the 'Sorry it was in the most echoey room in the world' to make a joke out of it.

I was surprised with the positive feedback I got for my Scroobius Pip package, but people said that 'It sounded like I was actually there, talking to him' (Which I was!), and 'That it sounded really professional'. Personally I thought It sounded messy, but then I suppose that it dad have the ambiance of a backstage room, and so it sounded 'Real'.

Overall, I think our show was excellent. For content it was the best of the three, as it had such a variety and we had worked hard during the week at putting them together and making them sound professional as possible.

However, lack of professionality was also an asset. If we had been aiming for either of the other genres this week I don't think we'd have done very well. There were lots of mistakes, you couldn't hear some of my package and songs were a bit late cuing. And because of this, when i heard it back, I was AMAZED we got a distinction.

But then when I thought back to my listening of student radio shows, and how much dead air there was, and how little thought they put into the jingles I realised why. We tried so hard, and you can hear that. There was a lot of content, the music we chose was contemporary, and therefore suitable to our audience. Our presenting was bubbly, and very student-centric. Our features were suitable to students.

So actually we produced an excellent student show, and although I may have been unlucky with the existing shows I chose to listen too, our student show was better than any I've heard. And I have learnt how important it is to know the style of the show you are doing innately before you even start planning it, so you always know you are on the right lines.

No comments:

Post a Comment